Copy a file after install?

You have trouble using InstallForge? Then this is the right place for you.
MadMojo

Hello, I am giving your installer a whirl (very easy product to use!) but I have 1 issue I am having with it and I was hoping you could tell me if it possible and if so point me in the right direction.

If this is not the right place to get assistance with that, can you please direct me to where I might find help?

I would like the installer to take a pre-configured file (provided by the end user) that is placed in the same directory as the installer, to copy to the install path after the install is complete.

This file is the configuration file our the app, that has connection strings to Databases and servers etc.. Other computers on their network will already be configured so I was hoping they could just take a copy of that file from the working box, place it in the same directory as the installer and when it runs, it will overwrite the blank config file that the installer places in the install path.

I think I can accomplish this via Shell command option.. I placed the following command in there but it does not appear to work..

Xcopy properties.txt <InstallPath>

where properties.txt is the config file.

I though this would execute Xcopy from the directory the installer was in and copy it to the install path (default C:\Program Files (x86)\APPNAME;

XCOPY Medproperties.txt C:\Program Files (x86)\APPNAME

is this not what the shell command is for? Is this possible?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer!

Aron
MadMojo

Looks like a dead or very tiny community, and company does not respond to support requests, only directs me to forums.

Oh well, looked like a good product, will source a different one.
Soner

Hello MadMojo,
our community is not dead; quite the opposite. We are sorry that your question could not be answered within a short time, but as you are hopefully aware of InstallForge is fully freeware. And also our support is for free. So considering these facts we hope that our users show some patient when looking for help.

As to your question: please try using the COPY command. Does it work?
Best regards,
Soner Boztas, M.Sc. Aerospace Engineering

Add me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/soner-boztas-engineer
earok

I know this is really late but the same command with <InstallPath> in quotes (eg - "<InstallPath>") worked for me.
Soner

Hello earok,
putting paths in quotes is important unless they do not contain any whitespaces.
Best regards,
Soner Boztas, M.Sc. Aerospace Engineering

Add me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/soner-boztas-engineer