Registry Protocol Handler

You have trouble using InstallForge? Then this is the right place for you.
BmanDesigns

I am trying to create a protocol handler using the registry and the installforge registry meny.
I need the following:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    name/
        (Default) = "URL:name Protocol"
        URl Protocol = ""
        shell/
            open/
                 command/
                     (Default) = "name.exe" "%1"
I instead get

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    name/
        (Default) = ""
        (Default) = "URL:name Protocol"
        URl Protocol = ""
        shell/
            open/
                 command/
                     (Default) = ""
                     (Default) = "name.exe" "%1"
which caused it not to work.
EthanKeiley

I am experiencing a very similar issue. I am setting up my file associations and I have a file extension named ".spr" and I want it to launch a program called "SASSPRO2". So I create the key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.spr" with a value name "(Default)" and value data "SASSPRO2" and instead of inserting "SASSPRO2" into the "(Default)" value, it creates a second value named "(Default)". I don't want two values called "(Default)", I simply want to insert my value data into the already existing "(Default)"

EthanKeiley

I have found a resolution for this. It involves manually editing the IFP file and removing the value name. I believe in older versions of InstallForge, you were not required to provide the value name field, thus you could add a value to the (Default) (@) value name. It appears in newer versions, they have made that field a requirement, who know why?

Anyways, if you open up the ifp file in notepad, you can edit it directly. Just change it from:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
.spr
(Default)
SASSPRO2
to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
.spr

SASSPRO2
and voila! You can open it up in InstallForge and it will not have a value name assigned to it.

Re-build it and you are ready to go.

I believe that it is a bug, but this may be a viable work-around until they get it resolved.