setup without admin privilege

You have trouble using InstallForge? Then this is the right place for you.
volki

I want to build a setup.exe that could be run without admin privilege. possible?
main reason: when the user runs the setup as admin the <ApplicationData>\<AppName> is the admin path. is there a workaround?
we don´t need admin rights for running the app!
Thanks for a good solution!
Soner

Hello,

yes. You can do it via a workaround. Please proceed with the following steps:
  • Browse to the InstallForge application directory and then to the sub folder res
  • Open the manifestDefault.manifest file with any text editor
  • Change level="requireAdministrator" to level="asInvoker"
  • Repeat these 2 steps with the manifestVisualStylesEnabled.manifest file
Best regards,
Soner Boztas, M.Sc. Aerospace Engineering

Add me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/soner-boztas-engineer
volki

This works, thank you!
tentnerandrea

When I tried to make these modifications and save over the original, I got the message: "You do not have permissions to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permissions."

IT at my org tried to do the edits as admin and were unable to do so (they got the same message as I did, above). They are currently escalating to higher levels of admin to try to get the edits done.

I recognize that this is an issue with strict protections at my org. However, I wonder if it's possible to make this modification in the Install Forge installer so that:

1) it's possible to install Install Forge without admin.
2) if Install Forge is installable without admin then it may install so that these files are editable by the user without admin as well, so that it's then easy for a user in turn to make installers for their own apps easily installable without admin?

Thanks for a great tool!
Soner

Hello tentnerandrea,

thanks for the report. I will work out a more appropriate solution in order to avoid the issue you have described.
Best regards,
Soner Boztas, M.Sc. Aerospace Engineering

Add me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/soner-boztas-engineer
WendellCaldwell

tentnerandrea wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:50 pm When I tried to make these modifications and save over the original, I got the message: "You do not have permissions to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permissions."

IT at my org tried to do the edits as admin and were unable to do so (they got the same message as I did, above). They are currently escalating to higher levels of admin to try to get the edits done.

I recognize that this is an issue with strict protections at my org. However, I wonder if it's possible to make this modification in the Install Forge installer so that:
Modtodays is a great platform for lovers of free classic game apps. Here you can find a diverse range of classic games from the last decade, offering poetic feelings of the past.
1) it's possible to install Install Forge without admin.
2) if Install Forge is installable without admin then it may install so that these files are editable by the user without admin as well, so that it's then easy for a user in turn to make installers for their own apps easily installable without admin?

Thanks for a great tool!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Making Install Forge more user-friendly without requiring admin access can really be beneficial. Your insights are valuable for improving the tool. :D